Being mindful by finding my happy in the everyday little things:
After a dark-cloud-in-my-head kind of weekend, I took myself out for an Artist’s Date for a change of scenery and to bring a little sunshine to my spirits.
I vowed to be as mindful as I possibly could, focusing on the happy in every precious moment.
And it worked.
Here are just 10 of the happy moments that brought some sunshine to my morning:
1. I started by listening to and watching this beautiful little bird singing its heart out as I waited for my bus.
2. I gazed out the bus window at the passing greenery which has awoken from its winter slumber and has gloriously sprung to life. The luscious trees, blooming spring flowers and piercing blue sky lit up my journey into the city.
3. I mindfully ate my brunch, savouring every mouthful of my Eggs Royale and decaf soy flat white.
4. I slowly perused the shelves of our city’s main library looking for new fiction to borrow, feeling thankful for this utterly brilliant free service.
5. I happily distributed a handful of my Kindness Cards with a positive message written on the back around the city for people to discover.
6. I embraced my inner child by buying a pair of fun sunnies to make me smile every time I wear them.
7. I used some of my unspent birthday money to buy a bright, happy vest top with the slogan: today is the perfect day to be happy (so let’s be happy).
8. I treated myself to a little bunch of orange gerberas to brighten up my bedroom.
9. I took advantage of my new status as a Waitrose Card Holder and sipped on a free cuppa herbal tea and took home a free newspaper (why did I not know about this sooner?).
10. I accepted that I needed to crash out on my bed for the rest of the day, as I arrived home wiped out but very happy.
After a challenging weekend, I decided to take myself out and cheer myself up.
And one of the best ways I’ve found to turn my frown upside down, is by spreading a little kindness.
I wrote a positive message on the back of several of my Kindness Cards inspired by a message at a London Tube Station I saw online recently: Hello lovely you. Yes you… the one reading this message. You are beautiful, kind, smart, amazing and simply the BEST at being you. Never forget that ☆♡ 🙂
I’d planned to leave them dotted around our city’s market square, but it was under construction and all closed off. So instead I put them around the city including: on my bus seat; on the mirror of the bathrooms in a café; on a shelf in the main library; and the rest I lay on benches around the city.
I hope they bring a smile to finders’ faces like doing this kindness act has brought a big smile to mine.