Being grateful for the best homemade soup EVER:
As the weather turns autumnal, my tummy is starting to crave soups.
Being a sunshine girl, I dread the summer drawing to a close. But one of the things I do look forward to in the colder months is delicious homemade soups.
I find there’s nothing quite like a steaming bowl of goodness to warm me up and lift my spirits; it’s the ultimate healthy comfort food.
A friend forwarded me Donna Hay’s recipe for Broccoli and Lemon Soup and after slightly adapting it to my tastes and preferences, it has become a firm favourite. My mum’s quite partial to it too.
I think adding the lemon at the end is a stroke of genius from Ms Hay, as it brightens up the flavours. And adding a swirl of yoghurt delivers a refreshing tang, completing the yummy factor.
So with this in mind, my happy for today is being grateful for the best homemade broccoli soup EVER.
The Best Broccoli Soup EVER
1 tbsp coconut oil or 50g butter
1 leek, rinsed and sliced
2-3 cloves garlic, crushed or chopped
1 head broccoli, chopped (including stalk)
1 Litre vegetable stock, or chicken broth
100g baby spinach leaves, washed
½ lemon, or to taste
2 tbsp coconut yoghurt, or to taste (optional – can use natural greek or natural yoghurt if preferred)
Handful almond slivers, lightly toasted in frying pan (optional)
Olive oil, to drizzle on top (optional)
1. Melt oil/butter in medium saucepan
2. Add garlic and leek and cook for around 5 mins, until leek is tender
3. Add broccoli and stock, bring to boil and cook for 8-10 mins, until broccoli is tender
4. Add spinach and let the soup cool for a little while
5. Use a hand blender or carefully blend in a blender until smooth (stop here if you wish to freeze)
6. Stir in lemon
7. Season to taste
8. Ladle into bowls and top with yoghurt and almonds, and drizzle olive oil
9. Eat and enjoy!
NB Makes 4-5 portions. Can be frozen at Step 5, before adding lemon, yoghurt and almonds.